Buying jewelry isn’t always as easy as it may seem and it is an intensely personal and precious way to express style, even for men. It helps define how we present ourselves to the world. So When it comes to buying online, consumers face a dizzying array of choices in terms of quality and price points. And they also face the uncertainties of buying something sight-unseen.
You may need some help!
So we have gathered the top eight practical tips of our expert for buying jewelry to help ensure you wear the best of what suits you!
Know your audience
- The biggest stumbling block to buying jewelry for someone else often comes from simple oversight—buying a piece, such as a ring or a bracelet, that doesn’t fit the personality of the receiver.
“Try to understand the lifestyle of the person you’re buying for,” Is she active? Does she use her hands for her job? That person might need something more lightweight, or made from more durable materials than someone who leads a more manicured life.”
Jewelry has to be expensive, right?
- Jewelry is supposed to make the wearer feel fabulous. That doesn’t have to mean that every piece of jewelry you own needs to cost a fortune, but sometimes it’s worth paying that bit extra for really special and luxurious jewelry. Once you decide to pay this extra amount, it’s important to buy the right jewelry for you.
Pearls are girls friends.
- Diamonds are nice, of course, but pearls give you way more options. If it’s not in your budget to buy your loved one a diamond necklace, consider pearls. They are an iconic compliment to all styles and beauty.
- Pearls are split into three grades: natural, cultured, and imitation. Natural is going to a fruitless endeavor, these are the rarest and often counterfeited pearls. Natural pearls are hard to find in the wild, especially in the size and luster we often see pearls as.
- On the other end of the spectrum, imitation pearls are usually plastic and resemble nothing of the real thing. Cultured pearls are farmed and cultivated to produce the widest range of pearls on the market. You can find cultured pearls just about anywhere.
- You can tell when you’re looking at a nice strand of pearls by its luster, sheen, and smoothness of the surface. Cheaper pearls will have more transparent bodies, while the most expensive ones will shine like glass with a faint iridescence.
How do I know the list price is a fair price? Am I naïve to not negotiate?
- The access to knowledge is in the buyer’s hand now, so you have tremendous power to research to feel comfortable. Do your research and learn what’s setting the price in the market. Then, if the piece is what you want it to be and it’s being sold by a trusted seller, you can accept the asking price.
Images. And plenty of them.
- The more photos of the item, the better. When buying jewelry online, you are not able to handle the actual item the same as you would in a brick and mortar shop. Therefore, you are relying on the seller to provide as many images as possible, clearly showing the item from all angles (front, back, left, right, inside, outside), showing any damage or imperfections (scratched stones, bent prongs, worn shanks), and highlighting any notable details (special design features, fineness or maker’s marks, artist signatures).
Ask a Jeweler!
- If you need help with buying jewelry, then it only makes sense to ask someone who makes their living making it. The best sources of unbiased advice would be smaller shops, online, or from a place you aren’t buying from. Your buying decisions shouldn’t be shaped by the same person selling to you.
Get a second opinion!
- If you’re struggling to decide what type of jewelry your loved one may like, don’t be afraid to ask a friend or family member. Taste is all subjective, so even though you might find a piece that is rare or expertly crafted, they may not see it. Just make sure you find someone who can hold a secret!
Complete the look!
- Have you purchased a piece of jewelry as a gift previously? Find something that complements or builds on that! Matching earrings or a bracelet for the necklace you gifted previously makes for a meaningful and practical addition. Most of the pieces sold by Bijaar have matching necklaces, bracelets, earrings and even pendants that make gift giving a snap!
Now that you have some expert tips and tricks, have a look at our store and find your next eye-catcher.